Saturday 12 November 2011

A very Anglican injury

Oh dear oh dear oh dear - A seamstress's life is never dull. Sewing white lace onto a white cotta, having just turned down (as opposed to turned over; the difference a word makes! English language students beware)  a glass of red wine, I suddenly find there's blood spurting everywhere. Fortunately I'd managed to rip my finger out of the way, so all the blood was on the carpet. I was cross - it was a new needle. It would have looked like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI_iohFF_iw

Naughty sewing machine! Auriol's wonderful bobbin lace.
except that I involuntarily pulled my hand away, so the flesh and nail ripped, and only half the needle remained stuck there. Just don't watch that thing if you are squeamish; I've only looked at the first bit, and thought - yep - that's what mine did, then I had to turn it off. Left index fingers on right handed people seem to be prone to this. In all the thousands of hours I've sewn over 4 decades, this is the first time I've ever done it, so don't be telling me to 'be careful'. I think it is the kind of thing that only happens once. T'owd man said he heard that you aren't a proper seamstress till you've done it.

I'm knitting fingerless gloves; it's bringing new meaning to the term.

I'm just going to change my dressing. I may need to sit down.

I know, I know, I know - I set my head on fire a few weeks ago. Whatever next......

(Thank goodness  the bicycle tried to eat my finger the other day; I'm hoping that counts as three).

No comments:

Post a Comment