Sunday 8 January 2012

Mudfest

Pics are back! Thank goodness; I'm not the psalmist, I can't paint pictures in the air with words. Writing without pics reminds me of the mourning in the monastery at Jarrow when due to plague in the 7th century they had to recite the psalms without the usual Christian antiphons. There wasn't exactly a plague here, although it could be said to have been a plague in the laptop, a kind of fever of such temperature that the thing ceased to be.

So now I can bring you the result of the Christmastide ride over the Humber. Recently I said that one mince pie would fuel one bike ride over the Humber for a small-medium-sized woman. Here is that very mince pie!

And the rest of the pics almost speak for themselves, which is a relief as I was getting tired of always speaking myself.







This pillar really does have something to say. See next pic.






I've talked about this before, the poem by Philip Larkin, but I don't think I showed the very pillar where it is quoted.

http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=288,628365&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

 And now, a real sunset-and-mud-fest from that ride. I'm going to let the sun and the mud say it all, almost.

Golden sunset at Hessle

Moments later, pewter sunset at Hessle.

Going underneath at the Hull end; squidgy mud, be careful on the bike.


The road up from Hessle

Homeward bound, looking west.
Goodnight

No comments:

Post a Comment