Thursday 28 June 2012

More ways to set fire to your hair

Hanfstengel
Mmm, weddings. Haircuts. Outfits. Had to make trip over to Grimsby to get the proper haircut, as no-one else seems to 'understand' my hair, it's very complicated stuff with a mind of its own, sometimes a sick mind. Like people have been known to get delusions about themselves being Napoleon or whatever, my hair thinks it is a brillo pad or a stick of candy floss, or part of the display in the Ropewalk in Barton of hemp fibres before they are all straightened out. (Not a brill pic of Hanfstengel- is far too tidy and flattering, is from here:  Hanfstengel/VivtangleYou need to go to the Ropewalk to see the real thing.)

Somewhere backalong [that's a really useful word I leaned when we lived in Zummerzet] in the blog I explain how to set fire to you hair in a church by examining something behind a candle, so you have to tilt your head sideways to look round it. Yesterday I was cooking a fishcake in a pan, when I dropped a weight down between the cooker and the cupboard. It didn't hit the floor so took ages to find, and there it was wedged. Having found it, you then need to move the pan to one side so that you can put your head right on the gas ring while you try to unwedge the weight with a knife. Do not turn off the gas ring while you do this. If you are very successful, you will also burn off your ear. I didn't manage either, so the hairdo remains just as it was when it left the shop, give or take a few nights' sleep on it.

Of course, I did say at the beginning 'Outfits' as well as 'Haircuts', and so I have been busy - I am still busy - making my outfit for the day after tomorrow. I might [probably will need to, actually] even put some final stitches in the thing for the evening while I'm eating my dinner at the first part of the reception. But the outfit as a whole, the one I will stride into church in, is finished all but a couple of loops to add to the skirt to hang it by, and to press the half-tablecloth I will wear round my neck as a scarf (I started making this in 1970 when I was a slip of a girl). But all together, t'owd man said it made me look 'like a displaced member of an Edwardian boating party'.

No rose in the garden is safe
The oven is full of flowers to be turned into a very special confetti. Perhaps this is a better use of an oven than what I've been advocating above.

Hair today, gone tomorrow?
The hair? Well, yes, it's OK I think. That's by Bobs in Grimsby. I know - I'm a bit of an airhead just now. Psalms will be resumed on Monday after the wedding.

1 comment:

  1. I've this vision of your hair (and you in the middle) stretched out over the length of the Ropewalk as it is brought into its original business once again.

    ReplyDelete