Tuesday 12 July 2011

I'm in trouble (maybe)!

Ooh heck! T'blog has gone all orange-wig etc! And today I was supposed to be on a serious textile day in Grimsby  with Tilleke Schwarz http://www.tillekeschwarz.com/- (she even had a pic of a Dutchman in an orange wig, exlaining that it was Dutch footie-fever wear) I WAS - but before it even started I had strayed over to a second hand shop where I saw this sweet little red straw hat for £2-50! I'm sooo tired as I didn't get to bed till the early hours, and had to be up at 6.30! I'm not a morning person! So I will write about the textile day next, but just now all I can do is to put this red hat on. But at least I am doing the little piece of embroidery (couching, a scallop shell, what else?) that I started in St James' church, Grimsby, now turned into Grimsby Minster'. Grimsby looked lovely in the sun, and the journey over there on the train was magical, with a field of blue flax in front of Thornton Abbey, and the right diddly-dum noise of old.

We were doing our work in the nave of the church, a bit like an ordination, a bunch of easily-recognisable textile ladies; I even went up to a couple in the street before the start and said 'You are here for The Day, aren't you?' and they were; they were lecturers on the Hull embroidery degree course. Don't tell me dress is not a language! I'm fluent in that, at least. I once picked out a bloke on a bus with wavy white hair and the right scholarly 'look' as 'very likely going to the SOTS Winter Meeting', and by getting off at the same stop as he did, I got there without problem even though it was a pitch black winter's night. I know; I'm boasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment