Saturday 16 July 2011

Oh dear! This blog is terribly behind. I've been up to quite a lot, what with ordination in the parish, visit by grandchildren, embroidery day in Grimsby..... and somehow I need to get ready for the SOTS Summer meeting for which I have to set off on Monday morning early. Gran's pot of energy is limited.

Ed with Grandma Viv
But here is a pic of the nave of Grimsby Minster, or St James as we call it. It was a magical day of embroidering for real overseen by Tilleke Schwarz from the Netherlands, and now I'll be using couching a lot. It's great for lettering, especially since my embroidery machine, the Brother PE 150, is playing up and doing terrible tension; just when I need it!! So here is some hand-done lettering on my knee. That little piece is all about reception history, how some of the characters in the Bible have been squeezed into spaces determined by their later readers; see Galatians 4! I really don't have much time for St Paul here, making an allegory out of the story to the detriment of the spirited Hagar. The two women really do serve the agenda of Abraham and many subsequent men. My little piece of work is intended to be part of a much larger piece... we shall see!


No comments:

Post a Comment