Wednesday 10 August 2011

Bleak stuff

The idea is probably clear by now. This hand is telling me it's time to go to bed, but I've just spent 20 minutes learning hieroglyphs, so I want to try some of them too. It's mostly about text just now. Here is me transferring the design by pricking through tracing paper on which I've drawn the design. This is Sarah's (my) left hand; I hope she was left-handed when she pointed, silly me I ought to have reversed it, but I want Hagar to go THAT way. It is the counterpart to 'Thy maid is in thine hand', as shown. Bleak stuff. Technical problems occur from time to time, some cloth doesn't work so well, or one cuts a piece too small and the letters fall off the end; that's me being careful and not liking waste, which only results in more waste.

There's the apple crop to see to, too. Trying to make juice, and the occasional pie. Not to mention riots going on that the radio is telling me about while I work, and at mealtimes I'm reading a book about apples from the Common Ground stable (they invented 'Apple Day' on or near Oct 21st), http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Source-Book-Clifford-Angela/dp/0340951893 eating, growing, history, varieties, and wonder wistfully whether I could save the world if every person had access to an orchard in which to play, eat, tell stories, make love, all the things romantic liberals dream about. But these things do get taken up, occasionally. We seem to have gone down a wrong road or two somewhere, and everyone has their idea of the cause and the solution. Mine is: not enough orchards, accessible to all; plant more.

Not much for Hagar to laugh at just now.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment