Monday 8 August 2011

God's eye



'Thou God seeset me' says Hagar, and so God has to have an eye, which has been my job this afternoon, after finishing what I call her bib. I brought out the best silks for some of the colours in God's eye, and both my sewing machines were used, as they have a different set of stitches. The Bernina ones are limited, but there is one particular wavy one that was just right, and a brill one on the Pfaff for edging the iris. I will always think of it as the eyeball edging stitch now.  But you don't need a great range of stitches to do some nice work; the piece here is some I did more than a decade ago just using a very limited number from the Bernina's small selection. It's not what you've got, it's how you use it; but it's good to have a good range when you get a bit more ambitious.
On the Bernina
Using a very few stitches
My source material for the Eye is a picture of a piece of pottery like an 'evil eye' in a shop in Crete. The other source is the artist's robe by Grayson Perry. http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/arts/review-23902373-gsk-shows-what-fashion-can-say-about-art.do is a good pic of it. The eyes are a symbol for the artist, and not long ago I was thinking about God as an artists, so everything fits together. In homage to Grayson, I am making the white of the eye pink. Has God got a hangover? Somewhere in the psalms he does - wakes from sleep like a man after drink. There's green and several blue in the pupil of the eye, as though God has in mind the earth, seas and skies.The eye is embroidered onto Hagar's pocket. I have an idea for what will form Sarah's pocket of course. Do I run out of ideas? So far, no. And yes, I CAN sew in a straight line, or a curved one - whatever. But probably not chew gum at the same time.
See that useful stitch - a satin stitch, but straight on one edge, and random on the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment