Wednesday 8 February 2012

Snow Queen rambles

That's a verb, by the way! There are some days where you get back to base and you just have a beer while you... look at the pics of where you've just been. So I don't apologise for showing them here, then the most avid reader of this blog - that's me - can see them any time.

This was a walk south of Buttermere up to Haystacks, and Innominate Tarn where Wainwright's ashes are scattered. The whole thing was considered 'a triumph' for a variety of reasons:
  1.   T'owd man's feet did well in his new insoles (custom-fitted Superfeet).
  2.   My feet did well in the boots I bought in Logrono, given that they shredded themselves on the camino.
  3. Both sets of feet did well in the new Microspikes: http://www.georgefisher.co.uk/crampons/pid21856/cid1468/kahtoola-micro-spikes.asp
  4. My new rucksack, the very Gucci of walking which is Osprey: http://www.georgefisher.co.uk/backpacking/pid23463/cid1474/osprey-pack-aura-50-pinon-green.asp
  5. We got down in one piece, two really as we did not need to cling together for any reason at all. It's an easy walk there and back of about 7 miles total from the YHA at Honister.
I think you can see that we have been on a bit of a spree. But we ate frugally back at base on beer, teacakes, hummous, local lamb, red wine, chocolates...... hollow leg syndrome had set in big time.

Looking over Buttermere from the south on the ascent to Haystacks.

Innominate tarn, where Wainwright's ashes are scattered

Where now?
The goal - Haystacks is the dark mountain I'm looking at.

Eventually, the summit of Haystacks. Wish I'd brought my crocheting though.

He got there too.

This ruscksack seems to have about 20 adjustable straps.

Blackbeck tarn, on the way back to base. Magical late afternoon light.

Frozen waterfall back at Honister quarry HQ.

I wrote recently about 'don't go there'; but I do like to have a look.

Microspikes meant we could skip down frozen stuff.

Back down the tram track to Honister.

.
Back to base!



    No comments:

    Post a Comment