Monday 9 April 2012

Clothed in light

I get a ridiculous amount of pleasure from the filling in of another couple of square inches of embroidery ground. I love the word 'ground' in this respect, as for Psalm 104 it is especially appropriate. I have just finished the section I call 'clothed in light'. That's God's clothes, not mine, though heavens if it were possible, I'd wear it if it were decent. It's verse 2 'Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment'. You can see I'm moving up the ground; the green ground to the upper right and left of the column of light is still to be filled, with stars and wind and flames. I was lying in the bath experiencing a moment of wonder at how the human sees something and then seeks to represent it in some other form, and how there are various languages for indicating things. Like music, it being a standard thing in that system, at least in the west, for a minor key to indicate sadness or seriousness of some kind. Why? How would you explain this to a Martian? (This is my standard question when I think of human absurdity in general). So it may not be so odd that words describing natural phenomena should beg for the picture to be reconstituted in embroidery. These things I'm doing... do they work? Does 'my' language speak intelligibly to anyone else? I don't know. In a way, it doesn't matter whether they are anything but a 'slice through my brain' while I'm thinking about Psalm 104 or whatever. I'm especially pleased to have completed 'clothed in light' in this Easter season.

No comments:

Post a Comment