Wednesday 4 April 2012

Leviathan & qwertyuiop (Ps 104)

 Leviathan occupied me for quite a lot of yesterday. Here he is in ebryonic form. Made of Kumihimo braid from these bobbins. Kumihimo is related to lacemaking and weaving and mathematics, thus a holistic experience for the brain, plus a bit of hand-eye co-ordination, and DO NOT answer the phone in mid-braid without thinking very carefully about where you're up to so you can get back to it. Somehow the pic I took of the bobbins being used didn't appear on the camera, so to know what it entails, see this: Kumihimo and the book by Jacqui Carey is the best on the subject, Kumihimo book.
 And here he has sprung to life, on the text from which he came, a bit tangled up and newborn. The braid went a bit wrong at one point due to answering the phone, so I had to make lots so that there would be plenty of perfect braid; I don't know why, but I have this image of the Embroidery Police looking at it when it's all finished, and noticing that there is a mistake in the placing of Leviathan's spots. (This must be a sign of some madness.)
He's about to be captured and dropped into the sea, but first I have to make the sea.
Here he is, playing, and in front of him is the work humans do, which I have characterised by letters (qwertyuiop!) and numbers, which seems to encompass most of what is particular to us as opposed to the animal world, though heavens, I think many of them can count and do geometry as well as we do; it's just that we deal in the theory of it all too.

Now I must do something else with these threads.... the cedars of Lebanon call... it's a hard life! It really tires me out, and if I feel like a rest from embroidery, then a bike ride across the Humber in the lovely windy rainy weather we are having will be just the thing. Will Leviathan be in the Humber? I think he'd love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment