Thursday 5 May 2011

The uses of jam

I know, I know; there's not much visible jam here. I'm on a Quest, really a double quest. 1) How to use up jam (and here I made a kind of miniature Cornish pasty made of French scone dough, filled with plum jam) 2) How to make a fig roll (the things in the tin being experiment 2 in this regard). Thing is, how do you keep the stuff from oozing out and burning? I made a kind of long sausage of French scone dough and then cut it up while still warm. The other things are cheese straws, some made with a bit of homemade bacon included. (Is life too short to stuff a mushroom? Certainly not!) I'll just go and look on the net for a really HUGE preserving pan....

I know - what is French scone dough? See 'Talking About Cakes' by Margaret Bates, Penguin 1973:
10 oz plain flour
1/2 tsp sodium bicarb
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
3 oz butter
3 oz caster sugar
1 egg
2 floz milk
Sift flour, bicarb, cream of tartar, salt together. Rub in butter and add sugar. Bind together with egg & milk. Then do whatever you like with it.

I know - old fashioned ounces! I don't hold with metric for baking purposes. How the heck do you say 'once ounce per egg' or whatever? Metric measurements are just not intuitive are they? How do you divide or multiply a recipe into different quantities when you use metric? The numerical bases are just NOT RIGHT. Gimme 12s, 16s, 24s, that kind of thing. I know; I'm on my high horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment